The Cherokee Legion was formed by volunteers primarily from Cherokee, Milton, and Bartow Counties, to resist the Union incursion into northern Georgia during 1863. The Legion was mustered for six months service within an area bounded by the borders of the state north of a line from West Point, Georgia, to the Elbert County Courthouse, to the Savannah River. It was not a unit composed of members of the Cherokee Nation, except that individual members may have been all or part Cherokee. The Legion did most of its service around Rome, Georgia, and apparently saw no significant action. Service with the Cherokee Legion will qualify its members' male descendants for membership in the Sons of the Confederate.
Over 700 men and boys reported for enlistment of which only 200 were needed. Many were "detailed" to get the Legion down to authorized strength. Many men who enlisted were deferred because of their age, being below 18 or infirm. Others who enlisted were soon conscripted into regular service in the Confederate Army. Some enlisted in one company only to be mustered into another. Some went on to serve in the regular Confederate service after their service in the Legion ended, so this record may not be all that is available.
- 27 year old black female (Vasti Lee)
- 7 year old black female
- 5 year old black female
- 3 year old black male
- 1 year old black female
- All resided in a single slave house.
- John B. McCollum, age 47, blacksmith, born in SC
- Sophronia C., age 43, keeping house, born in GA
- Susan, age 19, keeping house, born in SC
- Thomas, age 17, farm laborer, born in SC
- Green M Wells, age 14, born in GA (brother od Sophronia)
- Agnes, age 11, born in GA
- John Davis, age .9, born in GA (my Great Grandfather)
- Robert, age 3, born in GA
- Zephry Wells Willis, age 36, keeping house, born in GA (sister of Sophronia)
- Martha Willis, age 10, born in GA (adopted niece of Sophronia)
- Tolula Willis, age 19, farm laborer, born in GA (adopted nephew of Sophronia)
- Peter Claiborne, age 22, farm laborer, born in GA (adopted soldier from John B's, Cavalry)